Adanwomase Kente and Sellers Association
The Association was formed about many year ago. The main goals of the Association include:
- Creation of common ideologies about kente Registration of kente designs.
- Formation of other volunteer groups to boast tourist activities in the town.
- Providing assistance to members on many bases concerning the kente industry.
- The Association is also aimed at teaching and making the industry more attractive to the youth.
- The Association currently has over 45 members of which ten of them are female.
Kufuor’s successful administration in the country and internationally was what encouraged them to design the special Kente cloth in his honour as their forefathers had done for Kwame Nkrumah a similar ceremony. ‘Fathia Fata Nkrumah’ fabric has since then been in existence. The Association only accepts people from ADANWOMASE and in kente industry.
The Association also consists of individuals who are sometimes registered as companies under the Kwabre District Assembly of Ghana This Association became popular after naming one cloth called Kuffour Apegya Ghana after Forner President John Agyekum Kuffour. About 55 years ago, the Kente Weavers of Ghana, led by the Adanwomase Weavers Association, honoured the first President of Ghana, Osagyefo Dr.Kwame Nkrumah with a Kente cloth by name, ‘Fathia Fata Nkrumah’ in been recognised as one of the most beautiful and intricate designs in the Kente world. Explaining the rationale behind naming the new Kente design for President Kufuor, the Chairman of the Adanwomase Weavers Association, Nana Osei Tutu, said people of Adanwomase have had a long tradition of making Kente for important personalities and as such President.
Employment Avenues through Kente Weaving:
- Kente Weaving (consisting of all weavers)
- Sellers and makers of kente input materials/equipments (Loom makers, bobbin winder making, store keepers, thread shop keepers)
- Tour guides
- Kente Artefact Makers (slippers, bags, ties)
- Traders (Local kente store owners, Retailers, Exporters)
- Product Finishers (Adinkra and Embroidery designers, Seamstresses and Tailors)
- Spinning and Warping
- Accommodation providers
Adanwomase Tourism Management Committee
Since 2005 the Kente town administration has taken a new twist for the better. Through community-based tourism, the ATMT has been formed, which is a town tourism committee working with interested NGOs and the Ghana Tourist Board to bring the beautiful art of hand woven Kente to the outside world. We are happy to receive Tourists from all over the world to Adanwomase to share our craft and hospitality